Sunday, June 20, 2010

20 June 2010

**content advisory** Nut Brown has a handful of acorn caps that he has been referring to as "donut seeds". Yesterday he and I were playing with them, and he fed them to the teddy bear. I helped and the donut seeds disappeared as they were being fed. Nut Brown was surprised but pleased that the bear had really eaten them. Then he asked for them back. I told him that he couldn't have them back because the bear had eaten them, and he'd have to wait until the bear pooped. Poop? he asked. Yes, I replied.

He sat and looked at the bear and when the bear started to make straining noises I suggested that he check and see if the bear had pooped. He whipped the bear off the bed and saw his three donut seeds there. I wish I could have captured the absolute amazement on his face.

We don't lack for hysteria over bodily functions at our house. Last night when I started singing "She'll be coming round the mountain" for Nut Brown, Rose Pink started substituting "when she poops" for "when she comes". I couldn't keep a straight face. Go ahead - you sing "we'll all have chicken and dumplings when she poops" and don't laugh.

Some of the other songs we've been singing lately at bedtime: The Horses Run Around and Little Bunny Foofoo. We've also been practicing a special Father's Day song for Mr. Brown, which I think he enjoyed when we sang it to him this morning.

No comments: