Thursday, December 22, 2016

22 December 2016

Instead of Christmas gifts, Mr. Brown and I lately have been giving our children $50 and a trip to the store the day after.  This is a flexible policy - we have also offered to either give them $50 or give them gifts, and let them choose.  So far we've always chosen gifts for Bobo, too, instead of giving him money.  It's helped us to simplify and de-materialize Christmas in a way that makes it much more enjoyable for us.


This year I was talking to Rose Pink about what she wanted to do.  She initially said that she wanted us to choose gifts for her, but then decided instead on money.  I asked her what sort of things she was hoping to receive or buy, and she sighed and thought and then said, "I don't know! Which is why I want money instead, because I really don't know anything I want!"


I was so pleased that she's so far managing to escape the materialism trap - that her basic needs are met, and she can't think of anything she just has to have in order to be happy.  If she manages to maintain this mindset I think she will be much happier in the long run!

No comments: