Thursday, April 19, 2018

19 April 2018

We've had the flu for a week now.  Bobo kicked it off last week when he put himself in bed at 4:30 pm and didn't get up again til the next day.  He ran super high fevers (102, 103) and we started going through ibuprofen and acetaminophen like crazy.  Rosebud succumbed briefly (put herself in bed at 6 pm one night) but then had no other symptoms.  We gave Bobo lukewarm baths to help bring his temperature down, and they always had a miraculous effect.  He would go from weeping and incoherent to a cheerful (but sick) little boy who would laugh and tell jokes and get himself dressed.  Amazing to see what a difference a drop in body temp of a couple degrees makes.

On Saturday, Mr. Brown took him to urgent care and they said, "Flu."  At this point Nut Brown and Rose Pink were also sick, and Mr. Brown wasn't feeling so hot himself.  Rosebud and I spent the weekend taking temperatures and dosing people with ibuprofen and acetaminophen and then got a lot of quality time together working on my projects, because everybody just wanted to be left alone.  It was actually kind of a gift.  As Mr. Brown said, having the flu is actually kind of a blessing - you have an acceptable reason not to go anywhere and not to have anyone over, so you can really rest.  Super nice.

I worked half days all week so I could come home and help while Mr. Brown was trying to feel better, but this morning I definitely woke up sick, so no work for me at all today.  Mr. Brown is starting to get better but he's still pretty sick.  Rose Pink and Bobo and Rosebud are all basically better. Nut Brown caught a throwing up bug in addition, so he's having the extended version.  The hardest part right now is trying to take care of Rosebud, who is her normal healthy energetic self and wants much more engagement than Mr. Brown and I have to give right now.  Hopefully we'll be better in a couple days.  Or a week.

1 comment:

Derek said...

Ryoko and I had the flu over spring break, a month or so ago. Not fun. I didn't have it too bad, I just had what felt like a really bad head cold and no energy. Maybe the flu vaccine partially protected me or something. Ryoko, who hadn't gotten around to getting the flu vaccine this season, was hit pretty bad, and she was out most of the week. The two girls though, were totally fine.