Thursday, October 31, 2024

31 October 2024

Halloween!  This year we went with a theme for costumes, instead a family group.  It happened because I suggested that Mr. Brown and I could dress as the Men In Black, and Rosebud said, "Great idea! I'll be Catwoman, she wears black!". So "men in black" it was!
Mr. Brown and I dressed as the Blues Brothers.  This picture was taken at the ward Trunk or Treat, which I was in charge of, and I forgot my black pants in the rush to get ready.  People still recognized us!  We went to the APG trunk or treat too, and people knew who we were.  They would say, It's the Blues Brothers! And we would respond, "We're on a mission from God!" So fun.

Nut Brown opted for "George Washington in black with sunglasses".  He loved the powdered wig I bought for him. And when we went to the thrift store looking for supplies, we found a fabulous red brocade coat with gold epaulets, and he was in heaven.  But this is the "in black" version of the costume.

D went as a Minecraft Wither, which is a three headed skeleton.  This costume was really fun to make.

Catwoman was a little grumpy for this photo.

Rose Pink chose to dress as the Dread Pirate Roberts from The Princess Bride. She wanted us to all dress as characters from the movie, but Mr. Brown and I didn't think we would be recognizable.  I unfortunately didn't get any photos of her individually! She looked great, and made herself up to change the shape of her face a bit and have a mustache, which was really cool.  Anyway, she's in the back row of the group photo from trick or treating, next to the boy in the orange shirt.

We trick or treated with our ex-fam friends in the same neighborhood as last year, and had a good time. (Mr. Brown made seven layer dip for the party and made some blood spatter out of hot sauce for the top!) The weather was so nice that D ended up taking off his costume (it's a lovely warm hoodie) and knocking doors without it.  When people asked Nut Brown how he could be George Washington while wearing a red coat, he replied that he was dressed as George Washington during the French and Indian War when he was a British soldier.

Eventually Rosebud had to go to the bathroom so she and I skipped ahead to get back to the house sooner.  The big group splintered and people trailed back in pieces.  There was some trading when everyone returned and then we headed home. Happily, the school district was cool enough this year to give everyone the day after Halloween off!

Last photo: 
Nut Brown's youth group at church built a trebuchet this summer.  What use could that be? Well, it turned out to be just the right size for flinging small pumpkins as part of the ward Trunk or Treat.  Awesome!!  I thought this photo of Nut Brown in a powdered wig working the trebuchet was pretty funny.



No comments: