
Nut Brown has these fire truck pajamas that he
loves. And I love how much he loves them.

Our Christmas cookie plates. Mr. Brown worked really hard this year and made fruit bread, saltine toffee, jumjills, and snowballs, and I made the chocolates. Everything was fabulous, except the chocolates, which were mediocre. I'll try again next year. He made up twenty plates and we carried them around to neighbors and friends, and sang to them. We still have a bunch left over, which we're going to use for refreshments at the caroling party we're having on Tuesday.

The other night getting ready for dinner, Mr. Brown assigned Rose Pink and Nut Brown a sorting activity. Rose Pink got beads to sort however she chose into smaller dishes. She immediately began telling a story with them instead of really sorting them. Nut Brown got buttons and he sorted them by color into the dishes. I didn't think he had the attention span for it, but he worked steadily at it for fifteen minutes or more, by himself. And then he'd sorted them correctly, too. I watched him dither over one shaped like a pink heart with a yellow back, and move it back and forth from the pink bucket to the yellow bucket. One of the things that I am really enjoying about homeschooling is that Mr. Brown often chooses to engage the kids with things like this - interesting and fun but secretly developing skills - rather than brushing them off or telling them to just 'go play'. (Although we certainly do a lot of 'just playing', too.) It is so fun to watch them work at something and practice and learn.
-----------------------
Household news: the purple couch is gone. We found a toddler bed at the thrift store, so we brought the futon Nut Brown had been sleeping on down to the living room, and Mr. Brown completely deconstructed the couch and put it in the dumpster. The afternoon after the change, Nut Brown and I were walking outside and he found a scrap of the upholstery fabric on the driveway. He picked it up and said, "Couch," thoughtfully, and then asked for help putting it in the dumpster.
Someone suggested to us the existence of heated mattress pads. We invested in one and I LOVE IT. The bed is never cold now when I get in, and it stays warm all night. It's like sleeping on a giant heating pad. It is wonderful. Decadent, yes, but wonderful!
No comments:
Post a Comment