Thursday, August 11, 2022

11 August 2022

Our sweet Rosebud was born with a more active imagination than anyone else in this family with very active imaginations. Right after we were married, Mr. Brown and I watched one of The Lord of the Rings movies at a friend's house one afternoon. That night when we were going to bed, I timidly asked Mr. Brown to check in the closet for orcs after he turned the lights out, because I couldn't close my eyes for worrying about it. He very gallantly did, and never teased me about it, which is one of the reasons that I love him. 

Rosebud has inherited the imagination and the worry from me, and we have to be very careful what media she gets exposed to. Sometimes we have problems because she is the youngest and ends up watching things that are fine for her older siblings. One unwise morning spent watching a police detective show resulted in nightmares for weeks and an inability to go to sleep by herself for months. I incautiously told her the story of the headless horseman after the acquisition of a cool Halloween decoration and she refused to go alone anywhere in the house for months because she was afraid he would be there to get her.  Most recently we listened to the audiobook of The Lightning Thief and the scene with the minotaur chasing and killing Percy's mother made it so she couldn't go to bed by herself for several days.  (Not so bad this time... she is getting older.)

I love her so much. I hope we haven't managed to scar her too badly so far.

No comments: