Tuesday, August 30, 2011

speaking english

In the last couple months we have listened to the following audiobooks:

Over Sea, Under Stone by Susan Cooper

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C.S. Lewis

The Dark Is Rising by Susan Cooper

The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett

All have been tremendously popular with Rose Pink. All are by British authors, and were read by Englishmen.

At the park on Sunday afternoon (there is not much that is nicer than riding our bikes to the park together, playing in the sunshine, singing and talking on a perfect afternoon), Rose Pink says suddenly, "Reepicheep didn't get his tail cut off!" (referencing The Voyage of the Dawn Treader)

Mom: You're right- he didn't, did he? I remembered that but I must have remembered it wrong. It must be in a different Narnia book.

Rose Pink: Mooooom... that's not what it's called! It's NAHnia!

Mom: That's what I said... Narnia.

Rose Pink: Not NAAAARRRnia. It's NAAAAHnia. You're saying it wrong.

The funniest bit was the way that she was emphasizing that nasal American 'R' in NAAAARRRnia.

No comments: