Sunday, January 5, 2014

5 January 2014

The Saturday after Christmas, I finally bought a new bike for Rose Pink.  She and Nut Brown have both outgrown theirs, and she needed a new one so she could pass hers down.  They were both complaining about their knees hurting when we rode downtown.  I called a couple ads from craigslist and one of them worked out. 

(On our way up there to check it out, she decided that we were pilots who got lost after completing our bombing mission. There were lots of radio calls to make and buttons to press and a homing signal to find.)

This bike has gears and handbrakes, so it's a big change for her.  She was all excited to get a new bike until she actually had to get on the bike to try it out.  At that point she insisted that she didn't need a new bike!  After some fussing she did get on and ride it a short ways, and then we paid for it.  The handbrakes will take some getting used to, and it's much bigger than her last bike, but I think it will work out just fine.  It's big enough that I think she'll be able to use this bike for several years before she'll need a full adult-size bike. 

It was a great day to buy a bike, because the weather was pretty warm so she could ride it again when we got home.  Nut Brown was very excited to try out his new bike (her old one) as well.  When we got home, we tried to ride around the block all together.  Not everyone had been diligent about shoveling, though, so there were icy patches in spite of the nice weather.  Nut Brown figured out how to start on his much larger bike on his own, and we eventually all made it home.  I'm excited for next summer and the places we'll get to go.

No comments: