Friday, November 1, 2013

1 November 2013

 Halloween!  We were very excited.  The kids were excited because it's Halloween, and I was especially excited to take Bobo trick-or-treating this year since it's really his first.  Last year he was only six months old and pretty clueless.

We went to the Zoo Boo at the zoo on Friday night, and that was a good time.  Lots of walking in between treat stations, and I was pleased that they gave the kids crayons and reflective snap bracelets and apples and potato chips as well as some candy.  It was fun to be out and about together. This is Rose Pink and Bobo waiting for Nut Brown on the back porch in order to go.

Saturday night- church trunk or treat.  The kids and I planned and decorated the trunk.  Rose Pink painted a backdrop on cardboard all by herself - she did all the planning and mixing and washed the brushes afterward.  One of them suggested hanging tissue paper ghosts from the ceiling of the car, and that was a fun effect.  The activity was well organized and I think we all had a good time. 

Monday my friend John from work came over and carved pumpkins with us. It was a lot of fun and they looked great on the porch after. And I was so pleased that my garden pumpkins made it all the way to Halloween. I totally think I'm going to plant them again next year.

Finally it was Thursday and time to trick-or-treat.  The weather was wonderfully warm (high fifties) and rainy.  Fortunately it was really only misting heavily when we were out, so we got wet, but slowly.

 Here we are ready to go.  Rose Pink was a magician, Nut Brown was a samurai, and Bobo got the Tigger costume from the dressup box.  Nut Brown wore the bomb costume to the Zoo Boo but didn't like it, so he was a 'samurai' for the other events.  Rose Pink and I searched high and low for a small bunny to go in her hat, but without any luck.  Fortunately Grandma & Grandpa came through for us and sent a rabbit that fit the bill.  She was so pleased to be able to pull it out of her hat when a couple people asked for 'tricks' at the door.

I hadn't planned to let Bobo go up to too many doors- just a couple- but once he figured out that if you were on the porch you got candy, there was no keeping him in the stroller!

Here's the after-party in the living room.  Bobo was completely boggled by the enormous pile.  He'd hand me one to open and then hand me another before I'd even gotten a good grip on the first.  One mind - successfully blown.  I love trick-or-treating.  I love how it opens our neighborhood up to us and how we get to meet people we never would otherwise.  I love how it brings out people's generous aspect, and the kids' creativity with costumes.  I'm grateful we got to participate this year.

No comments: