On Thursday last week, Mr. Brown was gone to his college class and Nut Brown had his gymnastics class and then on top of all that the book club was meeting at my house at 7:30pm that night. So we decided on pizza for dinner and a movie for the kids while the ladies were over. Rose Pink and Nut Brown agreed that it was her turn to choose the movie, but when she picked Beauty and the Beast, Nut Brown stubbornly refused to agree to it. He said he wanted to watch 'Castle Cagliostro' which is an anime flick in Japanese that is older than he is. Rose Pink really didn't want to watch that so they were kind of stuck.
Rose Pink used all the skills she's learned for resolving this difficulty. She tried persuasion but Nut Brown was feeling particularly stubborn. She suggested that they review the list of movies together and pick one - but they still couldn't agree. Finally they came to me and Rose Pink said, "Mom, pick a number between one and ten." I said, 'Six!' and she said, "No, you don't tell us what you've picked until we tell you what we chose!!!" So they picked numbers and it turned out that Nut Brown won, and at this point Rose Pink had a very small tantrum because she was so disappointed and announced that she was just going to bed and went upstairs, very upset.
Nut Brown called up to her, bless his tender heart, "But Rose Pink, don't you want to know what I'm going to pick?"
"I know what you're going to pick!" she called back. "I don't want to watch Castle Cagliostro!"
"No," he said, "I'm picking Beauty and the Beast!"
She came back downstairs and they watched Beauty and the Beast during book club. I was so glad to see how hard they both worked to come to a compromise - I did absolutely nothing, and Rose Pink tried so many ways to work it out - and then to see Nut Brown's compassion and love for his sister.
Friday, November 29, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment