Monday, January 26, 2015

26 January 2015

Rose Pink's birthday party was on Saturday.  Usually I enjoy putting on parties for the kids but for whatever reason, I had a hard time getting started on hers this year.  It didn't faze her, though.  She basically planned the whole party, did all the decorating, baked the cake, and then hosted it herself.  Every time I asked her about it, she had been moving forward with it and I ended up functioning as an advisor rather than primary planner.  It was really neat to see her take charge, plan, and then execute: she is growing and it's fun to watch.

The party was book-themed.  She made invitations shaped like books and invited everyone to come in costume as their favorite character, and she hung books from a rope across the living room as part of the decorations.  We all introduced ourselves and talked about what we were dressed as.  Then we played Mad Libs and Do You Love Your Neighbor and then we ate cake.  Mr. Brown suggested that she make a poke cake, and she did and loved it.  We busted the pinata and then it was time for everyone to head home.  The last activity she had planned was board games, but we didn't have time.  She chose blue as the color theme- blue crepe paper, blue cake, blue punch.  One of the moms asked if blue was her favorite color, and she replied, "No, it's not.  Blue is just the color most associated with books - you know, blue cover, white pages."

I helped her make lists - a shopping list and a list of things to do, and she just took care of it all.  She hosted, and Mr. Brown and I just filled in the gaps behind her.  She is amazing, and it was so cool to see what she's capable of.

Also, the character that she chose to dress as was Cleopatra, and she made the costume herself too.  Seriously the easiest birthday party I've done for my kids so far... seeing as how I didn't actually DO anything.

No comments: