Monday, March 19, 2018

19 March 2018

I spent Saturday outside working in the yard (yay).  The kids did their Saturday chores on Friday so we had a breakfast fire with eggs and pancakes and sausages, which was way fun.  Our dryer died recently so we've hung up a clothesline, which I like better but it takes way more time.  Mr. Brown and I tore down a bunch of small thorny trees that bear unknown and possibly poisonous fruit that died in the frost in January, and I raked the load of mulch that Mr. Brown moved into relative smoothness.  Also I planted some cantaloupe seeds and set up the sprinkler for the garden beds.  Three of my four pecan trees have leaves on them :D and I'm pretty happy about that!




We went for a ride-and-run, and I ran a whole mile, which I haven't done since junior high.  Yay for me!  Bobo also ran a mile, but he did it twice.  He's a champ!  Mr. Brown ran six miles, which is an even longer ways.  He's a champ too! The rest of us were on bikes/trailers.


Mr. Brown and Rose Pink went to see the Lara Croft movie, which is based on one of our favorite video games, and I played Legos with Nut Brown and Bobo for an unexpectedly long time.  Bobo said I could be his girlfriend and assigned me a Lego person and the name Blanca.  I helped Nut Brown build a lego catapult that launched a ball when struck by a falling domino.


The kids finished their schoolwork earlier in the week so spring break started a little early.  They have five weeks off now, and Nut Brown is planning to build a pair of stilts with Mr. Brown, and Rose Pink is going to work on some Personal Progress stuff.  They are really excited for the break.  So is Bobo, who has plans involving video games (lots of them).


Bobo has recently become a very good reader.  His spelling and reading curricula have taught him to sound things out, and he participates in scriptures in the evenings by reading verses basically by himself.  When he does reading practice with me, he reads me the book instead of reading me a couple pages.  He's also started reading signs to us and sounding out anything with letters on it.  I'm so happy for him!


My sister came to stay with us overnight last week, which was super fun.  We're going up to see her for a weekend in April!  And last week I took a half day and we ran over to the Strawberry Festival to see my brother Chris and a couple of his friends.  (Chris's idea)  We had a fun time thinking about strawberries while we watched a dog show, a pig race (Bobo won a blue ribbon because his pig won the race) and a not-so-great magician.  Also we scoped out the chickens and rabbits on show, and watched the intermediate division of calf showing.  It was a good time and it was fun to be with Chris.


At church they combined the Sunday meetings of the youth/children's programs with the Spanish ward that shares our building (sacrament meetings at either end of the block) so now I have extra kids in nursery who don't speak English. Fortunately there's a bunch of people in our ward who do speak Spanish so I'm thinking I'll look for volunteers for a couple weeks to help everybody figure this out and get comfortable.

No comments: