Rosebud came home from school a few weeks ago and announced that she had decided to participate in the school talent show. She was going to sing. I looked through the papers she gave me, and told her that she had to audition for the show. She was reluctant to audition, but I convinced her to try. In the end, she decided to sing an arrangement of "Somewhere, Out There", which she learned last year with the Millennial Choir, with me accompanying her.
We practiced a lot, pretty much every day. We worked on timing and pitch. We practiced with a microphone from the karaoke machine, and we practiced giving the pianist a nod when you were ready to start. We practiced continuing to sing when the pianist lost her place, and we practiced coming back in when she forgot the lyrics or sang the wrong ones. She worked hard, and improved.
On the day of the audition, she was nervous but also calm. We got to go through our piece twice for the judges, and Rosebud did really, really well. All the things that we had practiced, she remembered to do. I was so impressed with her! Afterwards, walking out to the car, I asked her how she felt about her performance, and she said, "Pretty good!" I told her that it was obvious that all her hard work had made a big difference in her performance, and that I thought she had done an awesome job remembering all the things we had practiced during her performance. Two weeks later, we heard back - she passed the audition and would be performing in the talent show!
Unfortunately, she got sick this week. She had to miss Field Day (a big disappointment - she wore her Field Day shirt at home all day). We thought the talent show was on 30 May, so we thought we were okay in spite of her illness, but I got a call from the school asking if she would be able to make it to the show tonight even though she had missed school today! What a disappointment for us! She was too sick to perform, and we hadn't practiced for several days because she was sick. So sad! She and I were both very upset.
No comments:
Post a Comment